Clarity’s packaging compliance scheme operates for the purpose of the Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) 2007. These regulations are in place to ensure that businesses are responsible for the recovery and recycling of packaging waste in the UK. They place obligations on businesses to:
- Register with the EA (either directly or through a compliance scheme such as Clarity Packaging Compliance;
- Recover and recycle specific tonnages of packaging waste each year;
- Certify that this has been done.
Some businesses may also need to provide information to consumers. (Clarity members - see Consumer Information Section in the members’ only area). Compliance schemes such as ours will take on your legal liabilities and carry out your recovery and recycling obligations for you. You should also be considering whether you can minimise the amount of packaging you use and you can obtain advice on this from us.
These obligations relate to the total amount of packaging that your business handles, not the amount of packaging waste you produce.
Recyclable materials and recycling targets
In March 2012, new packaging targets for 2013 to 2017 were announced to ensure that the UK continues to meet EU Directive targets over the next 5 years.
|Material||2012 (%)||2013 (%)||2014 (%)||2015 (%)||2016 (%)||2017 (%)|
|Of Which Recycling||68.1||69||69.9||70.8||71.8||72.7|
In 2013 split targets for glass were introduced. The targets for individual businesses with an obligation in glass are:
|2013 (%)||2014 (%)||2015 (%)||2016 (%)||2017 (%)|
|Proportion of glass that must come from remelt||63||63||63||64||64|
Companies are obligated under the Regulations where:
- They are a UK company with
- An annual turnover above £2 million and
- Handle more than 50 tonnes of packaging per calendar year
These companies are required to purchase evidence to meet their Producer Responsibility (Packaging Waste) Obligation from accredited recyclers. Their obligation is a proportion of the packaging that they handle in one year. This will mean calculating the tonnage of packaging handled in the previous year by material and calculating the obligation, which is related to the stage in the packaging chain.
Producer functions and their % responsibility
- Manufacturer - a person who manufactures raw materials for packaging. 6%.
- Converter - a person who uses/modifies packaging materials in the production or formation of packaging. 9%.
- Packer/Filler - a person who puts goods or products into packaging. 37%.
- Importer - a person who imports packaging or packaging materials into the UK. They have a rolled up obligation depending on the activities that took place before import.
- Seller - a person who supplies packaging to the end user of that packaging. 48%.
- Service Provider - a person who supplies reusable packaging to a user of that packaging where the supply is made by hiring out or lending the packaging 85%.
If the business belongs to a group of companies, these requirements apply to the total amount of packaging handled by the group and the group's total annual turnover.
Share this page with others
Want to know more?
Let us help you
The Department for Environment and Rural Affairs has released the Government's response to proposed amendments to the UK Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2013.…
Waste and resources charity Wrap have created The UK Plastics Pact, bringing together businesses across the supply chain to tackle plastic waste.…