The packaging regulations
The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations were introduced in 1997 to reduce the environmental impact of packaging. The packaging regulations place obligations on businesses that use packaging, or sell packaged goods to finance the recovery and recycling of a proportionate amount of the packaging materials they have placed on the market. The obligations placed on these businesses are aimed at:
- Reducing the amount of packaging produced.
- Reducing the amount of packaging waste that goes to landfill.
- Increasing the amount of packaging waste that is recycled and recovered.
A business that produced or handled more than 50 tonnes of packaging in the last year AND has a turnover of more than £2 million must comply with the packaging regulations
The definition of packaging
'Packaging' is any material used to hold, protect, handle, deliver and present goods. This includes packaging for raw materials right through to finished goods to be sold or being sold. For example, pallets, boxes, bags, tape for wrapping, rolls, tubes and clothes hangers sold as part of the clothing item.
What do you need to do?
If your business is obligated under the packaging regulations, you will be required to:
- Register with the Environment Agency (or relevant authority), either directly or by joining a compliance scheme such as Clarity Packaging Compliance.
- Submit annual data to the Environment Agency on the amount of packaging the business has handled.
- Procure recycling evidence notes known as PRNs (packaging waste recovery notes).
- Provide information to consumers about the product's packaging, including where it can be recycled and the meaning of labels.
These obligations relate to the total amount of packaging that your business handles, not the amount of packaging waste you produce.
Get help with the packaging regulations
If you want peace of mind that your packaging compliance is in safe hands, our Environment Agency approved scheme will take on your producer responsibility obligations on your behalf, saving you time and money. Join our scheme and we will register you with the correct environmental regulator, obtain evidence of your compliance and submit your certificate of compliance each year.
Find out what you could save by complying with Clarity. Get a quote from us today.
Share this page with others
Want to know more?
Let us help you
From Iceland to London City Airport and even the Queen, we round up the latest plastic pledges from across the UK industries.…
The latest figures by Defra have revealed an increase in the UK recycling rate for waste from households.…