Complying with packaging regulations
If your business produces or handles more than 50 tonnes of packaging in a year and has a turnover of more than £2 million you will need to comply with the Packaging Regulations. This will mean calculating the tonnage of packaging your business handled in the previous year by material.
Under the packaging regulations, 'handling' means your business:
- Carries out one or more activities in the producer responsibility activity list below, or has them carried out on your behalf.
- Owns the packaging on which the activities are carried out.
- Supplies packaging or packaging materials at any stage in the chain or to the final user of the packaging.
If your business is handling packaged product it is likely to be performing one or more of the activities described in the regulations. Below is the producer activity list and their proportion of responsibility.
- Manufacturer - a person who manufactures raw materials for packaging. 6%.
- Converter - a person who uses/modifies packaging materials in the production or formation of packaging. 9%.
- Packer/Filler - a person who puts goods or products into packaging. 37%.
- Importer - a person who imports packaging or packaging materials into the UK. They have a rolled up obligation depending on the activities that took place before import.
- Seller - a person who supplies packaging to the end user of that packaging. 48%.
- Service Provider - a person who supplies reusable packaging to a user of that packaging where the supply is made by hiring out or lending the packaging 85%.
If your business belongs to a group of companies, these requirements apply to the total amount of packaging handled by the group and the group's total annual turnover.
Packaging Regulations made easy
We understand that complying with environmental regulations can be daunting, but we can do the hard work on your behalf.
Our specialist team helps our packaging compliance members apply the packaging waste regulations to their company packaging. Join our scheme and we will provide assistance with your packaging obligation calculations and data submissions, ensuring the process is as efficient and accurate as possible.
For those that would like a bit more help, we can also provide workshops for our members where you can benefit from our expertise and guidance through every stage of the packaging regulations process.
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, visit our packaging FAQ page.
Share this page with others
Want to know more?
Let us help you
A new code of practice for the RDF market has been published by a group of industry representatives.…
Environment Secretary Michael Gove has launched a call for evidence on how a reward and return scheme for plastic, metal and glass drinks containers could improve recycling rates.…